Monday, September 26, 2011

Yankees!

well my children are taught that they are Southerners.....more importantly at this point....they are all Virginians. we do speak of their southern heritage. they are well versed in what caused the War of Northern Aggression. while we are not proud of slavery & do not condone it one bit, we do firmly believe in states rights & believe that the federal government does not have the right under the constitution to usurp the rights of the states. we also believe that during reconstruction if the carpet baggers & reconstructionist had of left the South alone to rebuild, she would have risen with the dignity that come natural to her dispostion & without some of the race problems that continue today because of reconstruction.
i realized today that i might have done my job teaching my children about their southern heritage with a bit too much emphasize on how bad the yankees were with sherman burning everything in his path.
asher got upset with elizabeth & instead of calling her the usual "penis" or "poopoo" that he uses, he called her a "yankee". ok, all i have to say is I AM SO PROUD OF HIM!!!! i'm sure that's not the best attitude to have....but I LOVED IT!!!  that made my day. goodness, it made my year!!!

Now for a small history lesson:

This is Edmund Ruffin, a southerner & Virginian....he reportedly fired the first shot on Fort Sumter in April 1861. as some of you may know, the firing on Fort Sumter was the final straw that started the war of northern aggression. also are included his last words that he spoke before taking his own life upon hearing that Robert E. Lee had surrendered at Appomatax. he could not stand the thought of living under yankee rule.



"I here declare my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule -- to all political, social and business connection with the Yankees and to the Yankee race. Would that I could impress these sentiments, in their full force, on every living Southerner and bequeath them to every one yet to be born! May such sentiments be held universally in the outraged and downtrodden South, though in silence and stillness, until the now far-distant day shall arrive for just retribution for Yankee usurpation, oppression and atrocious outrages, and for deliverance and vengeance for the now ruined, subjugated and enslaved Southern States!


..And now with my latest writing and utterance, and with what will be near my latest breath, I here repeat and would willingly proclaim my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule--to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, and the perfidious, malignant and vile Yankee race."

--Edmund Ruffin , 1865

1 comment:

Nicole M said...

Hi Wendy :) I'm a Yank! haha. Chris (a Southerner, from Savannah) has often instructed me on the true title of the (ahem) Civil War- the War of Northern Aggression. I'm always amazed he chose to marry me! An Aggressor! You're post made me laugh and I did cut and paste it into an email to Chris (he's deployed) I know it will make him smile!

It's been fun to keep up with your family on this blog.